Sunday, November 05, 2006

Nanowrimo

There's a new icon that's popped up on our side bar. It's for Nanowrimo, or National Novel Writing Month which is running in November. The goal of the month is to write a 50,000 word novel. And that doesn't have to be 50,000 Pulitzer Prize winning words, but whatever drivel you can pull out of... well wherever you can pull it from. I'm a little behind my daily allowance of about 1600 words, but I'm slowly gaining momentum, up to 1400 in total. And its guaranteed not to be an award winning novel of any type. Denise persuaded me to try and get back into writing again after not having written for fun since the beginning of uni. Denise is also writing something and she's written about 3000 words. Not bad as she's studying for her exams too. Makes me feel soooo slack!
So the posts may be a little brief for this month, because I'm trying to focus my words towards my novel.
I'll make up with pictures though. This is the diagonal scarf I'm knitting at the moment. It's a multi-directional diagonal short row scarf. I've modified it for two colours, the original colour suggestion was to use a plain yarn or a yarn with a large verigation. This was some yarn I saw at Lincraft that just screamed out 'KNIT ME' and it's not often that Lincraft yarn does that.
Denise is knitting a wave pattern scarf out of two colours of alpaca wool. This is from an Alpaca farm we visited a few weeks ago.
And normally Frankie doesn't look this evil, but she was sitting on the bed, and I had the camera out, and this is the pose that turned up on the camera. Or maybe she's still annoyed at me for taking away her bug she was trying to eat. I don't mind her catching all the moths she can find. They are hatching from the pantry at the moment, and I still haven't found the source. And I prefer the moths to enjoy the taste of flour or lentils or popcorn, than all my yummy wool.

2 comments:

Tallguy said...

Now, that cat sure does look menacing! You had better not turn your back on her, I think!

That scarf looks interesting and fun, and I wasn't sure how it was being done. I've seen that design in the multi-directional books, but it appears that this one is slightly different. Care to expound on it just a little bit?

Susie No Skates said...

It's a series of short rows. I'll do up a picture with the scarf as a background to show the knitting direction, but it's basically add one at the beginning of the row, and ssk when you pick up the next stitch (so picking one up but also knitting two together within the last two stitches).
I was knitting blind on this one as there were no pics. I'm really impressed by it.