Sunday, September 24, 2006

Whale of a Time

Denise and I have been going stir crazy recently, and we just had to get out of Adelaide for the day. After being washed out a few weeks ago, finally had decent weather to go to Victor Harbor.
Weather was warm, although a bit blowy. We went for a walk around Granite Island, although we didn't see any Fairy Penguins. I'm offended, the name of these cute penguins have been changed from Fairy Penguins, to Little Penguins. Why? Because it might offend gay people?!?!?!?! That's political correctness gone overboard.
Some of the rock shapes on Granite Island are amazing. This picture of me isn't to show how small I am, but rather how big the rock is. It's quite an large hole that I've sheltered myself in.
Denise found herself a similar hiding place, although it seemed to be a well worn path. There were trails all over the island, some leading dangerously close to the rock edge or cliff, some going over the middle of the island, and one we took led right into a collection of rocks, with no sign of which way to go. I'm writing this, so we did figure it out.
And after all that exercise we just had to reward ourselves with strawberries and cream. And had to endure music pumping out of the kiddy ride.
We also went down to the Whale Centre to see if there were any local sightings. As luck would have it there were 3 in the next bay around, a 10 minute drive away. They would have been maybe 200m offshore. Thankfully I had my binoculars, so we were able to get an even closer view. Seems there was a family out there, two adults and a calf in the shallow surf playing in the waves. He surfaced several times, riding the waves, rolling around and blowing water into the air. The zoom on my camera isn't the best, but the black mark in the water is a whale fin as the calf went on a spin.Yes, I know its been a long time since my last blog, and the date stamp is really out on this. I've been saving and adding to the post several times, swearing at how long it takes to log in and load up a picture. Finally managed to do it.
Will try to post a bit more often. Have plenty of pictures waiting on the camera.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Is that whale waving a knitting needle?? Congratulations on being in the right place at the right time!