Monday, October 09, 2006

OKC (On Knitting Content)

Looking back over my past few posts I realised how little knitting content there is. I've been trying to help my shoulders by not knitting, a hard task when there is a stash tower overflowing in the living room that is begging me to pay attention to it, and project deadlines.
Well I got the bag finished for my work colleague. It was a struggle to finish it on time. I took the photo with the scissors next to it so I could get some perspective when I felted it, but then I forgot to take the second photo. Idiot!
The bag was basically two pieces, a flat piece with the beading in it, and a cord made with a home-made tomboy stitch. Yes, that is the top of a juice bottle, four nails and lots of tape. It worked quite well, and not as easy to crush as a toilet roll is when you sit on it. Once I felted it, it made a really thick cord, much thicker than anything I could have knitted or crochetted, and it doesn't seem to stretch as much as the handle on my satchel does. My problem was that I finished sewing it up at 12midnight, ran it through the wash, and it felted slightly. So I got up early and ran it through the wash while I was in the shower. Worked fine, but now it was wet. So I thought a low iron would be okay. I would have if I'd kept the iron moving the whole time. Burnt one side of it. The good thing was that Terezia still loved it. I asked her to send me a pic. She used her phone so its a bit out of focus.

So I sit here with my cup of mint tea made from fresh mint I picked from my 'edible' garden, as Denise likes to call it. The garden is coming along nicely. I'm hoping that the next few days with the heat wave we're expecting, doesn't kill it. The lemon tree has just pushed through a few new leaves and they are looking really healthy. Its amazing what a lot of chicken fertilizer will do. The beans love it too. They're about the start galloping up the fence frame. And my seedling nursery on the kitchen window is getting bigger. The dill has its second leaves, I FINALLY have basil growing, the cherry tomatoes are ready to go outside.
Yes, this last bit had nothing to do with knitting, but what the hell, if I can't knit, I'll garden!!!

No comments: