Saturday, July 01, 2006

Knitting Unadventures

Had a rather disappointing knitting day. I subscribe to every bit of knitting junkmail I can (yes, I am the sad type of person who doesn't have a No Junkmail sticker on the snail mail letter box simply so I actually get something in there) and heard that Spotlight were having a Knitting Party at all their stores nationwide. To put it simply, it couldn't have been lamer if I'd organised it. No one turned up, those that did seemed to be the people with nothing else to do so they thought why not, and some that did turn up didn't realise it was meant to be a party.
I went with my sister Anita to the store at Clovercrest. Having just renovating the shop, and that they run craft classes, you would think that there would be a nice open space, tables, chairs, etc. Nope, three tables in the middle of the main aisles. They had a table of women knitting squares out of bright balls of acrylic yarn to make blankets for the local charity. They used one of their counters for kids craft making pom poms, and the counter was taller than some of the kids. Then the third table with some staff members (well they were wearing the t-shirts) with some crocheted blankets, those circular weaving looms and panels of those weaving things you can use to pretend you knitting a scarf when all you're doing is weaving fun fluff. I commented to one of the ladies at the table how nice the blanket was. She responded with a very condesending "Yes, that's crocheted." Wasn't in the mood for a sarcastic response back, but I did let her know that I knit and crochet, and that I was looking for more yarn for my current blanket.
In all a BIG waste of time.
In regards to that crocheted blanket, it's dark maroon and blue, and I'm still getting used to how much yarn these granny squares can use. So what starts off as more than enough 70% 30% acrylic wool mix, has turned into me hoping that Lincraft will magically find a spare ball somewhere for me. So I added the complementing dark blue for three rounds, then back to maroon. And now I'm out with no more yarn :-( Poop! So what does idiot do, "Hmm, think I might add some fun fluff to the edge of it. Spotlight has specials this weekend." Idiot here has bought 4 balls of flurry/feathers yarn in the nicest shade of dark green.
FEATHERS YARN IS EVIL AND DEMONIC AND SHOULD BE DESTROYED! AND NEVER BE USED TO CROCHET WITH. Idiot idiot idiot.
I shall persevere though. Problem with it, if you miss the loop or forget if you did that last loop you can't see it, so I find I treble 3, chain 1, undo one, chain again, treble 2, undo one, etc.
Other news, I'm trying to learn AusLan (Australian Sign Language). Having worked for many years with young children with disabilities and picking up the essentials (look, listen, sit down, stand up, toilet) I thought I might learn a bit more. So I've been visiting Auslan Signbank where you can sign up for free and access their database of signs.
So I'm progressing from the essentials listed above, finger spelling, and the few words I've picked up at student conferences (yes, I know the bad words too).
And my first word, knitting. The second was crochet. For Denise I've learnt marry, and mum wanted to know fart (it was kinda obvious, wave your hand in front of your nose twice). To make decent sentences I've learnt me, you and I.
Now I'm finding words I can use with me, you or I. Today's word, shit (and there are other good signs associated with it). Trust me, this database does not limit itself to polite converstaion.
Denise is sitting next to me as I'm showing her all these signed and shaking her head.
Oh, and after reading through this, she's made multiple spelling and grammatical corrections for me. Thanks honey.

No comments: