Saturday, January 27, 2007

Dyeing Fun

Denise and I decided that despite the torrential tropical rain we had in Adelaide over the weekend, that we would finally do something about all the white wool we've been hoarding.
So I pulled out the first edition of Yarn Magazine that has dyeing instructions, and we started skeining all our wool, using the back of the chair. Then a quick trip down to the supermarket for 9 bottles of food dye and 8 litres of vinegar.
And this was on the morning when I finally decided to do some FLYLady cleaning, and fling out the crap in my plastics cupboard. All those margarine and take-away containers we don't normally need, got turfed and then retrieved to be used as dye containers.
Anyway, this will be fairly picture intensive, but we have to show off our creative work.
Helen's purple and green 8ply Bendigo Wool, 200g. No plans for this one yet.
Helen's yellow and purple (although its more blacky mud), 12 ply. Possibly will be made into a beanie.
Helen's rainbow wool. 5 ply, 150g or so from two half used balls. SOCKS, Socks and more socks til I run out of wool!
Denise's rainbow wool. 8ply 200g ball of Bendigo wool. Just waiting for inspiration
Denise's mottled 12 ply. Looks better in the ball than the skein. This will become a few pairs of Fetching wrist warmers.
Denise's yellow, red and black (although more a browny purple colour), 5 ply Bendigo Mills wool, about 100g of it. This is also destined to be socks. We used black dye, but the colour kept on running, and by the time the water ran clean, it was more a brown colour, which has dried to a deep purple. The colours still look good together. I see socks happening here.
Denise's red, blue and white Bulldogs wool. 12ply, so more Fetchings, and other football things. Possibly a scarf and beanie, depending on how much is left.
Denise's rose pink and green wool. 5 ply Bendigo wool. This is already currently being knitted into socks.
And this is what happens when we decide to go hunting through the stash for more white wool. We decided to pull the buckets in the tower out, tip wool all over the floor and sort while watching Star Trek. (Did I mention I'm a Trekkie? And I'm trying to convert Denise). I found some oddments, pulled out my 6mm circular needles and cast on for a beanie. By the end of the evening I had these. And the third beanie sits next to me on my computer desk, slowly being knitted as I wait for pictures to upload.
These will be sent off for the Guardian Angle charity knit. Anyway, the top one is called "I hate the colours, but my sister loved it and I bought one too many balls for her scarf, so what can I do with it?", the second one is call, "too much of the ball left over to throw out, not enough to make anything on its own, what else goes with it?" The purple one I'm knitting at the moment is call "What the hell was I thinking when I bought this yarn?" You'll understand when I post the picture.
Ooh, and we're about to go out to IKEA and buy a new stash tower. Denise has conceded that I have too much yarn for just one tower. Yay!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love the rainbow yarn!